Monday, April 8, 2013

Game Time

After a few days of anime posts, I think it's time to do some game reviews. Got a couple cool ones for the iOS this week.

First up is Crow for the iOS. As the name suggests, you play a crow. I haven't played too far in, but right now I'm trying to defeat an evil scarecrow - cause as a crow, of course scarecrows are evil. To do so, I have to defeat the guardians providing him with power.
 
The gameplay has you flying over the landscape looking for various things. Thus far, I've encountered story events, background information, and gems called trinkets. The trinkets add to your score, the background information adds insight to what you're doing, and the story events act as barriers between each 'quest'. The first event I did was fight against the guardian of the forest, an owl. I flew around a small map, attacking the owl and gathering nodes (health and trinkets). After a few passes, the guardian lost (I can't recall if he died or flew away, but eh) and I was back in the sky flying around again.
 
I don't know if future levels add anything new, but it's a great little cinematic story - very little commentary, so it seems like the story is largely left up to interpretation (again, only a first level impression; might change later on). I got it for free through the iOS, and I'm definitely enjoying it thus far.
 
Next up is Horn. You play as a blacksmith's apprentice named Horn (original, I know). The gameplay begins when you awaken in a tower with no memory how you got there. After picking up the strange crystal and sword in the tower, you move out.
 
The gameplay is fun. It's a platformer with action RPG elements; you move about the world tapping where you wish to go, and the combat has you dodging enemy attacks while slashing back when you get the chance. It's also sorta mission-based, so each 'level' you enter has you looking for what is called a 'Pygon Seed', which opens the gate that keeps you from progressing past that point.
 
On top of that, you also have the ability to forge new weapons from objects gathered from enemies. You only have a few choices at first, but you can find hidden blueprints within the levels in order to get new weapons to forge. All in all, it's a fairly fun game. I also got this for free through IGN - they were doing a 'free game of the month' promotion, and I got the code pretty quickly.
 
That's it for today; hopefully I get something more to talk about before tomorrow, because I hate missing days when I say I'm going to do it. Until next time!

No comments: